23/11/2007

What's up

It may seem I do little else than party and drink here, but the fact is that life has pretty much settled into a routine – there's little to blog about regular life, and I seem to be momentarily out of habit of thinking-by-writing. Korea seems to agree with me anyway. I'm back to my normal self (FYI those of you who were worried about my excess happiness before), but I guess you could say I'm pretty happy at the moment. I have no problems here that I didn't bring with me. Also, I'm losing weight without actually doing anything to deserve it. Which is nice (except for the bit about having to buy new clothes, but that's another chapter altogether).

If you happen to be in Seoul right now, I'd like to recommend an art exhibition in Yaksu – it's by one of my professors, Park Hwa-yong, who teaches my Media Art course – in Mongin Art Space. You can download the brochure from the pop-up window, if you're interested and can read Korean. The exhibition requires, I think, that you read the book that's on sale at the gallery (unless she's around personally to explain the story behind the exhibition), but I think it's well worth it. I'm a sucker for a good narrative, and hers is a good mix of humour and, I dunno, social awareness. I liked it a lot. Puts some pressure into my ongoing Media Art project, which is due on Friday...

I was out* yesterday for the first time with a member from the art department. It was quite spontaneous – Daniel and I were going for a dinner and this guy walked in the studio, so I just asked him to join us. In all honesty, I was sure he'd decline, but I was happy when he agreed to come along. He doesn't speak a lot of English, so it was a little bit awkward at first, but I think it turned out all right. I like him, though.

It is frustrating to not be able to talk with all the people here, but I'm determined to get a grip and start putting more effort into learning Korean. Therefore... those who are proficient in the language... you may laugh at my efforts in putting together sentences over at a (yet another) new blog, aptly named 바보, idiot.

I heard it'll start getting colder again as of tomorrow, so I'm making another futile shopping trip this weekend, this time to try to locate a winter coat. I think my poor old hoodie really doesn't cut it for much longer. Wish me luck!

*if dinner and dessert can be called "being out".

No comments:

Achives